All share a commitment to the Trust values – Together – Safe | Kind | Excellent – in everything you do. This applies to your behavior towards patients, staff and visitors. We expect all our staff to live these values as the bedrock of our culture of care, compassion, competence, communication, courage and commitment.
To see if being an HCSW is for you, answer the following questions. If most of your answers are “yes” then this could be the job for you.
- like working with people and want to help?
- want to make a difference in people’s lives?
- communicate well?
- enjoy helping people feel at ease?
- recognise when someone is anxious or in distress and want to help?
- care about vulnerable people?
- respect people’s beliefs an attitudes even when these differ from yours?
- feel you could preserve somebody’s dignity, no matter their situation?
- take care of people eg washing somebody or helping them go to the toilet?
- feel you could look after someone in the last days or hours of their life?
- think you could cope with work shifts that could start early and/or finish late?
- have the stamina to be on your feet for most of the day, doing a physical job?
- care about supporting someone in difficult circumstances and leaving them with a smile on their face?
If so, then a Healthcare Support Worker role could be for you!